Dedicated Special Order Delivery & Distribution Center
Barrett Distribution is a 3PL that understands our clients. With Dedicated Facility solutions, we provide tailored services so customers operate at their full potential. The case study below showcases how our Northeast distribution center was customized to meet a variety of challenges.
Best Buy is a multinational retailer of technology and entertainment products and services with a commitment to growth and innovation. The Best Buy family of brands and partnerships collectively generates more than $40 billion of annual revenue. Barrett provides Northeast distribution and other outsourced supply chain solutions for all Best Buy major appliances including TVs, washers, driers, refrigerators, and ranges for the entire Northeastern region.
- Appliances and large electronics distribution solution
- Fast market entry with a dedicated Northeast Distribution Center coupled with a special order delivery and installation system ("Geek Squad") for New England based retail stores - from Bangor, ME to Norwalk, CT
- Scheduled home deliveries directly with customer, supporting 52 metro Boston area stores
- 7-day, 19-hours per day operation required to meet the increasing demands of Best Buy's customers
- Process daily work requisitions with the Home Installation Teams and Best Buy stores
- Returns processing of appliances and televisions for up to 30 various manufacturers
- Demanding, flexible supply chain to facilitate forward distribution and product returns from customers and retail locations
- Disposition of used, unwanted product following established Auction protocols
- In-home delivery for major appliances and TVs
- Same-day service requirements; demanding cycle times and delivery windows
- High expectations for accurate and timely fulfillment and delivery
- Gather and report on retail customer end consumer) satisfaction levels
- Cross docking for regional retail store network
Barrett Blueprint Solution
Design → Facility layout and material handling equipment was optimized to facilitate high value products and demanding work streams -- coupled with supporting time-critical transportation hand-offs.
Build → Leased, fixtured and ramped-up the Northeast distribution center to support Best Buy's strategic fast market entry. Project manager facilitated the preparation of all physical assets working in conjunction with the transportation component of the solution.
Implement → Startup was effectively managed through a detailed project plan that tracked milestones. Contingencies were established due to the speed at which the implementation proceeded.
Manage → Established baseline activity performance while at the same time providing Best Buy with first-ever key performance indicators for their DDC operations. Results reviewed internally and with the customer on a daily basis. Operations team executed on the productive flows established at the design phase, which provided the ability to handle spikes, interface with home delivery and installation teams while maintaining a high level of accuracy and service.
Continuous Improvement → Measuring and managing performance through key operating metrics allowed us to establish baselines and track improvement. Best Buy has recognized Barrett's superior performance in managing the Special Order Distribution and Delivery operation per the following:
- Superior Safety Award
- Under budget shrink performance
- Retail Support Claims Award